Fundraising Laws

If you are considering fundraising for the Melanoma Fund, please be aware that there are some guidelines that need to be adhered to in order to ensure that we are in line with Institute of Fundraising Codes of Fundraising Practice.

We have provided a brief guide to the rules and regulations for some common fundraising activities below, however, if you are doing street collections you must contact us first to gain further information.

Collecting money with tins

Please contact us on 07989 551046 before you embark on fundraising with a collection box.

Raffles and Lotteries

There are three kinds of lottery or raffle and each has different rules and regulations. These are governed by The Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976 (as amended). If you have questions please contact us.

Food and Drink

There are a number of regulations governing the use of food and even if you are only providing food on a one-off basis you must still comply with these. For specific advice on food safety legislation please contact the Environmental Health Services department at your local council.

We recommend that you contact your local authority before your event to discuss your plans and remember that every person involved in the preparation and serving of food to the public must have a basic understanding of food hygiene.

If you plan to sell alcohol, you’ll need to obtain a liquor licence from your local Magistrates Court.


If you are planning to have some form of entertainment (this means two or more people performing or dancing) in a building, which does not already hold a Public Entertainments Licence, you need to get one. This licence is provided by your local authority.

And finally...

If you are in any doubt about the legal implications of any of your planned activities, please do check with us and we will be able to advise you.

Always think about safety, both yours and others and find out whether you need insurance or a licence. Enjoy yourself while fundraising and be safe.

Good luck!